Pages

Monday, June 10, 2013

God Does All Things Well

These last few weeks have been difficult, to say the least.  

Friday a week ago the courtship of which I was a part ended abruptly and unexpectedly.  The next day, Saturday, a large dog attacked my sheep and ended up killing four of the lambs.  It was heartbreaking to see the flock scattered and shaken, and the bereaved ewes calling for their babies.  My father was the brave one, burying the dead lambs for me.  He shows me how much he cares for me by taking care of the practical difficulties so that I do not have to, and I am very thankful for him.  My brother also did some of the hard things, and encouraged me by his willingness to bear the load of icky jobs that come along with raising any animals. 


God does all things well.  I cannot see the reasons for these hard times, but if I could, God's plans would only be proven more glorious and the end result better than I can dream right now.  He has planned out history marvelously well, and all things, even (especially?) the difficult things work together for the good of His people and the glory of His Name.  "Scripture invariably treats us a morally responsible agents," as John Stott put it in The Cross Of Christ. 

We grow closer to God in the stressful, difficult, heart-wrenching times because it is then that He shows us how we are not in control of our lives.  It is then that He displays to us our need of Him to make it through another day.  He uses our sins and the sins of others to grow us to maturity because we are basically lazy, and usually grow only when we are pushed to do so.  To use a different metaphor, the shepherd uses some dogs to nip at the heels of the flock in order to keep them from the cliff, while at the same time calling the sheep to himself so that they know which way safety lies.  

According to Paul David Tripp, often times of waiting are sent to give us opportunity to grow in knowing God, to grow in knowing self (how sinful and selfish I really am apart from the grace of God), and new ability to serve others by sympathizing with them when they go through similar trials.   

So, although I do not understand, by the grace of God I do accept and will cling to Him as each earthly hope and wish fails.  May His name be ever blessed, and ever honored.    

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the verses that brought such comfort to me when I was looking for that right young man was Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself also in the Lord and He shall give you the desires of you heart. God blessed me with a wonderful man whom I have been married to for 21 years now!! I had several young men in my life that I had hoped were the right ones but,God had a much better plan for my life than I could have ever dreamed of. I know he has a wonderful man all planned for you and he will be all you have hoped and dreamed of! When it doesn't work out with someone please remember that he is not the one God has chosen for you and just smile and wait because what God has planned for you is going to be so worth the wait!! My husband is truly my best friend and I am so blessed with him. I am so thankful for your post today as we have been going through some rough times with our 19 year old son. He is having a really hard time adjusting to real life and is struggling to keep a job (he has had several) I have felt God telling me that he is working in his life and I need to let go and let Him work but, it is just so hard to see your child suffer however, your post reminded me that "God does all things well" Thank you for sharing your heart and I know God will bless you!!

Anonymous said...

My Deaest Alana,
It broke our hearts to hear about your courtship ending I know God can heal the brokenhearted but please dont give up on Jeremiah i think he a diamond in the rough just continue to pray as we do for you both
Love in Christ
Lynnette

AlanaTatter said...

Thank you so much for your kind comments and encouragement in the Lord. Romans 8:28 has been helpful to me in this time as well. :)