Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Confidence in Trials

"The wounded heart cannot by its own unaided power avail itself of the promise though it be evidently adapted to its need.  Instead of grasping consolation, the soul refuses to be comforted.  Nor can the most loving of ministers apply the balm; awakened consciences are usually more cunning at putting from them the reasons for hope than we are in applying them.  They think us flatterers when we bring them cheering news.  It will even happen that when a gracious word seems to strike them and to stick upon their minds,  they will with a cruel diligence and suicidal resolution tear it off lest it should work their cure.... Therefore, O Lord, doth my soul love Thee because Thou didst not only provide a salvation for me, but Thou didst also apply it to me; and at this hour Thou dost not only lay up comfort in store for me, but Thou dost actually cheer and sustain my spirit.  Thou art ... all in all.
~Matthew Henry

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
 Philippians 1:6

No comments: